Friday, September 18, 2009

Three "Easy" Detox Drinks

This morning, not so bright and early, I decided to do the Sea Salt Detox because my coworkers discussed it during lunch yesterday.  Personally, it makes me want to puke.  One wouldn't think drinking one quart of fluids to be so difficult but when it tastes like dirty ocean water (with a splash of lemon, ha) I'd almost rather be fat.  Almost.  Below are three recipes for diet cleansing concoctions that are supposed to be easy, natural, and effective.  I've not tried the Healing Detox Juice so cannot vouch for flavor or potency, but it's worth a shot.  It seems to have more vitamins and nutrients to it than the others so technically, one is not "starving" oneself as with the Master Cleanse in which one must fast.

My real-time reactions:
[9:05 AM] Mixing and microwaving warm water.  Adding salt to solution.  Choosing to do one quart rather than two.  Why double the torture...
[9:11 AM] First chug.  =(
[9:16 AM] Half a quart remains.  Eyeing bottle...
[9:18 AM] Still staring at the bottle of salt detox.  I shudder.
[9:19 AM] Oh gosh, I have less than a couple minutes to finish this salt horror.  Again, why am I subjecting myself to this?  I just realized if one is unsuccessful in drinking all the salt concoction and end up retching, I would still consider it a successful endeavor.  Ha ha...
[9:20 AM] Trying not to puke during the last home stretch.
[9:21 AM] Quickly chase with a sip of FUZE.  I want to cry.  Why are my taste buds so sensitive to salt?
[9:50 AM] And the fun begins...  Haha, it wasn't so bad actually.  I think drinking is the worst part; however, the day is young!

Still want to try it?  lLolL.  DO IT!  At the very least, it will be funny?  I'm laughing.


Sea Salt Detox






Ingredients:
  • 2 Tablespoons Sea Salt (unrefined, if possible as it has more minerals)
  • 2 Quarts Spring Water
  • Organic or Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice (optional)
You may want to prepare for this detox by eating lighter a few days prior by reducing meat, dairy, and refined flour.

Best to drink in the morning upon first waking and on an empty stomach.  Warm up the water then add the salt to it; the warmer it is the easier it goes down.  Stir it up or bottle the solution and shake it.  The warmth of the water should help dissolve the salt.  You may want to add lemon juice to make the drink more palatable.  Guzzle all of it within ten minutes.  The warm salty concoction supposedly helps loosen up your bowels and cleanses it out.  With that said, please do this at home when you've nowhere to be until evening. 

Wait at least one hour before eating.  Keep your menu light during this detox, such as with soups and salads; avoid meats and dairy.  This detox may be done once in the morning and once at night before sleeping.  Continue the Sea Salt Detox for three to seven days.  If desired, you may repeat this diet after resuming a normal diet for a week.


Master Cleanse (Lemon Detox)

Ingredients:

  • 2 Tablespoons Organic Lemon Juice
  • 2 Tablespoons Pure or Grade B Maple Syrup
  • 1/10 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
  • 8 Ounces Spring Water, cold or hot
Precede with the Sea Salt Detox the night before starting the Master Cleanse Diet.

Combine all ingredients.  For portability, use drinking bottles and/or a decanter with lid.  Fast and drink the lemonade 6-8 times daily for up to 14 days.  After the last day, begin eating small portioned amounts of light foods, like soup, for a couple days; with each passing day, you may build up to eating solid foods.  If desired, you may repeat this detox after going on a normal diet for a week.

CAVEAT: I know you want to increase your metabolism but please don't overdo the cayenne pepper to do so.  I didn't follow the recipe before and estimated by just dashing it in there.  It gave me heartburn.  I'd recommend exercising even just twenty minutes to help maintain your metabolism since your fasting would tend to slow your metabolism if continuing the detox for longer than five days.


Healing Detox Juice

Ingredients:

  • 3-4 Carrots, Peeled
  • 1/2 Cup Fresh Spinach
  • Handful Flat Leaf Parsley
  • 2-3 Sticks Celery
Combine all ingredients into a juicer.  Blend until smooth.  May refrigerate and drink cold if desired.  This will promote a bowel movement within a few hours.


Not to be Debbie Downer but I just realized that since one diet needs to be preceded by another diet, one would easily be dieting for a few weeks.  So complicated, but NO PAIN NO GAIN!!!  (To be honest, I really am not one to say because I do terrible with diets these days.  Weak sauce!)

Best of luck to all of us!




devyn

No comments:


Search My Blog

My License/Copyright Information

Creative Commons License
All content on this site and those linked externally work are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.